Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Song of Morissa and Jason


Last weekend, (June 24, or 8 Tammuz, 5767,) I was privileged to watch two friends get married down in Philadelphia. As you may be able to tell from the date, they are Jewish, and it was one of the most amazing, spirit filled weekends I have had in a while. This is a picture of them cutting the cake. (It is from my camera phone, so the quality isn't great.)
Theirs is a tight knit, though welcoming and loving, community, and when one of their young members gets married, it is apparently a cause for great celebration! And so this was, starting on Friday night, going through the service and reception on Sunday, and on into a series of well-wishing parties all up the east coast this week!


I have known Morissa for a long time, at least 11 years. She is one of my dearest, deepest friends. Jason I have just met recently as he and Morissa came to be together. Because she loves him, I have come to love him, too. We have hosted the both of them twice for New Years', and it was at New Years' this year at our house that Jason proposed. My son was very good about telling everyone that this weekend!


It was a great honor to be asked to give one of the seven blessings (Sheva Barachot) during the ceremony on Sunday. The introduction to the blessing was sung by one of Jason's friends from Berkeley, CA and then read in English by the Rabbi, a friend of Morissa's mother and stepfather.
Here is the traditional blessing:

Grant great joy to these loving companions as You gladdened Your creations in the Garden of Eden. Blessed are You, our God, who brings joy to the lovers.

Here is what I wrote. You'll note the echoes of the Song of Songs. For context, I should say that for the first couple years of their courtship, Jason was in Berkeley, while Morissa was in Philadelphia. Recently Jason moved to Boston, and Morissa will be joining him there. They have never lived in the same town until now.


The Song of Morissa and Jason

"The voice of my beloved", Solomon said. "Look, he comes, leaping upon the mountains".

The Sierras, the Rockies, the Poconos weren't too much trouble.
"Fly the Friendly Skies" to my love, Solomon should have said.

"Arise, my fair one, and come away."
Finally to the same time zone, the same area code, the same phone, the same place.

One mezuza.

"Lo, the winter is past, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land", indeed!

"Set your seal" upon each other.
"Come, my beloved, let us go forth into the fields, there I will give you my love". Make haste, my beloved, and be like a gazelle or young stag upon your mountain of spices.

Now is the time. Make haste, arise, come away!

Go. Be. Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment